Lessons Learned

Many lessons have been learned this past week, some of which I feel as though I must share. First and foremost, if you have a high anxiety personality type, like yours truly, it is never a good idea to start more than one household project at a time… For whatever reason, the kitchen sink & faucet replacement, the raised garden bed completion, the dressing of the odd sized dining room window, and the general landscaping/weed battling ALL required attention at the SAME time….

Let’s start with the kitchen sink – a friend from church came over to help with the project. It seemed like a simple idea: take out the old sink with faucet and put in a new sink with faucet. But, no, the new faucet was a different format from the old one, which meant that pipes had to be adjusted, sawed off, replaced. Tape this, putty that, seal this, twist that. It was a process! I am very proud of my Hubbs for persevering and tweaking the pipes until the sink was in place and leak-free!


It is usable, it is beautiful, and I appreciate the stainless steel! Thank you, baby!


Moving on to the raised garden bed, it was a relatively easy DIY project.

3 pieces of pre-treated lumber (4X8X12) cut one of the pieces in half to make the 4 ft. sides+

galvanized brackets and screws to attach the sides together + 

landscape weed blocking fabric for the bottom of the bed (staked down) + 

approx. 25 bags of general purpose top soil +

approx. 5 bags of good quality garden soil =

a raised garden bed for suburbia anywhere


We planted tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers this afternoon with all of the seeds that I had started indoors weeks ago. What I didn’t take into account/realize was that the plants had to be spaced 18 inches away from each other, which quickly ate up my gardening space…. Next year, I’ll only plant one or two of each plant instead of four or five.


And, if the garden is successful this year, we’ll have to build a twin bed for next year. Praying for a decent first harvest!

The dining room window is my nemesis. It is an odd shape with odd measurements and odd clearances… I needed a double rod to span a width of 105 inches with 2 inch brackets. Apparently, this is not a commonality and therefore is impossible to find in a store… I only have TWO ever-lovin’ inches worth of space in which to place the brackets that hold the rods. Well, after purchasing rods, returning rods, measuring brackets at the store, after much finagling at home….. I have two 24 – 48″ rods with a sneaky little cafe rod stuck between them in order to span the entire 105″ window with the ridiculously small 2 inch clearance for the brackets.

It worked. It’s acceptable for now. The window is still my nemesis.


Last but not least, the landscaping/weed battling continues to taunt me, but little by little, progress is being made! I transplanted two bunches of daffodils this afternoon and tended to more of the pampus grasses that desperately needed haircuts. These grasses were as tall as I am….! Anyhow, it has been an exhausting week and proves to be an exhausting weekend. I hope that everyone has enjoyed their Saturday?! Here’s hoping that Sunday is just as productive with maybe a little less wind and a little less heat!


About cjbolinger

I am a stay-at-home mother of three children (Ben, Alex, and Christian), a wife who is head-over-heels in love with her husband of 13 years (Gregg), a hobbyist photographer, and a lover of everything crafty! Follow my attempts at domesticity as I cook, clean, and craft for my family...
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s