I finally did it! Finally tackled the “decades-old” dresser that was my first ever independent furniture purchase when I moved out of my parent’s house – quite some time ago…! The dresser was outdated when I bought it, so you can just imagine how ready and overdue I’ve been to get started on this project.
Once the dresser was sanded, I rolled on a coat of earthy slate green paint, filled in holes with wood filler, sanded any problem areas and then let it dry. It ended up needing a good 2-3 coats of paint in certain areas.
Everything was going pretty smoothly until it was time to install new hardware. My dresser, being old as dirt, did not have standard size drawer pulls – the holes were drilled further apart than the norm, so a little extra time and research was required to get the hardware that I needed/wanted.
This dresser also shows it’s age by the style of drawers – they have that newspaper print finish on the bottoms and they do NOT come out of the dresser, which caused quite a bit of extra detail work for me, having to paint inbetween crevices with different styles of brushes. But, I’ll have you know that this dresser is as sturdy as they come and it has survived more than it’s fair share of moves…!
I’m very happy with the end result!!! And, now I have an updated slate green dresser with rubbed bronze hardware that has been commissioned as a buffet for my dining room. This buffet will store the overflow of dishes/cookware that I have stacked all over my kitchen. Old dresser + new coat of paint + updated hardware + extra storage for kitchen overflow = happy homemaker!